Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Blogging+Digital Audio= Podcasting

When I was investigating how to Podcast and different places to Podcast I came across a site that showed me how it works, http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet/basics/podcasting.htm. This site was very helpful for me because I have never listened to or even made my own Podcast. A quote from this site that really intrigued me was,  
"Log on to one of several podcast sites on the Web, and you can download content ranging from music to philosophy to sports. Podcasting combines the freedom of blogging with digital audio technology to create an almost endless supply of content."

The site informed me that Podcasting came from a combination of two words, IPod and Broadcasting. It is a common held belief that you need an actual IPod to access and listen to Podcasts. This is not true. You can listen to them directly on your computer, any media player, and any IPod device. Anyone can access Podcast at any time if you download them on to any of these devices. It is not something that you have to tune into. That is the nice thing about them, you can relisten to them or listen to it while on the run.  

I never thought about using Podcasting to gather information or keep up to date on news stories but I actually downloaded some the other day for myself and while I was at the gym listened to it. I was getting a workout and updating myself on the latest information! I think Podcasts are a great way to get students within your classroom engaged in keeping up on information as well as becoming their own talk show host. There are potentially great things a teacher could do with Podcasting within the classroom.


2 comments:

  1. I definitiely thought you needed an ipod in order to listen to a podcast at first , and I don't have one. So i never looked into them before. Now that we've been studying them, they are actually pretty cool. I think it would be great to use them in the classroom as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the name "podcast" leads to this misconception. Aside from classroom use, I have found them very entertaining and informative. I tend to download several podcasts from the NPR site and listen to them as I drive to work. The nice thing about podcasts is that you can find one for almost any subject, as your papers have proven.

    I'm curious...have any of you found any educational podcasts?

    ReplyDelete